March 12, 2020, 9:30 pm
The health and safety of all participants in sport, including players, coaches, staff, officials, fans, family, volunteers and the general public, is of the utmost importance to Basketball Manitoba. In light of ongoing concern resulting from the coronavirus (COVID-19), and in support of suggested recommendations from Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living and Manitoba Education and Training, effective Friday, March 13, 2020, Basketball Manitoba is cancelling the Basketball Manitoba Junior High Basketball Championships set for March 23-26, 2020.
We also support the actions taken by the Manitoba High Schools Athletic Association (MHSAA) to cancel the Junior Varsity and Varsity basketball championships taking place this month.
We are advising all member clubs, teams, leagues, camps and training sessions to cease all basketball operations (games and practices) effective Friday, March 13, 2020, until further notice.
Affected member leagues include...
- Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association
- Winnipeg Basketball League
- Peg City Basketball Association
- Westman Youth Basketball Association
- Breaking Barriers Basketball League
- Philippine Basketball Association
- Winnipeg Athletic Association for Youth
- Brandon Men's Basketball League
- Brandon Women's Basketball League
- WinPak Basketball League
- Sabado Basketball League
Affected insured spring break camps include...
- Basketball Manitoba High-Performance Camps
- JRB Spring Break Elite Camp
- Winnipeg Team Mayhem Basketball Camp
- Selkirk Royals Basketball Camp
- Anishinabe Pride Basketball Camp
- Richter Scale Basketball Camps
- Atlas Basketball Camps
- Battlegrounds ID Exposure Camps
Affected training Session Include...
- Targeted Athlete Program Training Sessions
- All basketball club practices and training
All other basketball operations not listed above but under the governance of Basketball Manitoba are also included in these actions.
It is also advised that all basketball officials in Manitoba no longer accept or attend any game assignments until further notice due to the above-noted game cancellations.
We are also advising all member clubs to not travel out of province for any upcoming events in the foreseeable future including the Grand Am Basketball Tournament In Grand Forks in early April.
We will advise on any further basketball events following Spring Break as the health situation develops. To stay informed as this situation develops, please subscribe to our email newsletter, or follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Basketball Manitoba feels this is the best course of action in order to do our part in keeping our community safe.
Additional links and advisories tied to the situation can be found in the Basketball Manitoba statement released on March 11, 2020.